Car Tax Check, How to Check Online if a UK Car is Taxed
There are many times when it is important to check if a car is taxed. If you are buying a car you may want to check if it has any current car tax so that you can drive it legally on the UK roads until the car ownership is transferred to your own name, at which point you can then tax the car when you become the legal owner. Or you may own a car and not be certain when its car tax is about to expire. Using a caranalytics website will give you the information required about a car’s road tax in just seconds.
What is Car Tax and Why is it so Important?
- Once you have used an online car tax check website and established that the car needs taxing, you can tax your car online using the government website .
- The car will need a valid MoT certificate and to be insured. Both of these details are checked automatically by the Government website as you tax your car online. If either are missing, or expired than you will need to update your car insurance or have the MoT carried out before you can tax your car.
- Alternatively you can tax your car after checking the car tax status online by visiting a Post Office. You will need your DVLA reminder (V11) or your Registration Certificate (V5C) plus a valid MOT. You can then buy your car tax over the counter.
What Happens if I get Caught with an Untaxed Car?
- It is a legal requirement to have car tax for any vehicle that is to be used on the UK roads.
- If the car is to be stored off road, a SORN declaration needs to be completed that states that the car is not being kept or used on any UK roads. This is also a legal requirement.
The penalties in the UK for using an untaxed car on the road are quite severe, with fines of up to £1,000. It is very easy to forget to tax your car, even after a reminder may have been sent out. Check your car tax online and stay within the law.