How to Check Online if a UK Vehicle is Taxed?
There are many times when it is essential to check if a car is taxed. If you are purchasing a car, you want to check if it has any current vehicle tax to drive it legit on the UK roads until the vehicle ownership is transferred to your name, at which point you can tax the vehicle when you become the legal owner. Or you may own a car and not be sure when its car tax is about to expire. Using a caranalytics®website will give you the information required about a car’s road tax in just seconds.
What is Car Tax & Why is it so Significant?
- Once you have used a car tax check website online and confirmed that the vehicle needs taxing, you can tax your vehicle online using the government website.
- The vehicle will need a valid MOT certificate and to be insured. Both of these details are inspected automatically by the Government website as you tax your car online. If either is missing or expired, you will need to update your car insurance or have the MOT carried out before taxing your car.
- Alternatively, you can tax your car after checking the car tax status online by visiting a Post Office. You will need your DVLA reminder (V11) or your Registration Certificate (V5C) plus a valid MOT. You can then buy your car tax over the counter.
What Happens if I Get Caught with an Untaxed Car?
- It is a legal requirement to have a car tax for any vehicle that is to be used on UK roads.
- If the car is to be stored off-road, a SORN declaration needs to be completed that states that the car is not being kept or used on any UK roads. It is also a legal requirement.
The penalties in the UK for using an untaxed car on the road are quite severe & charges of up to £1,000. It is very easy to forget to tax your car, even after a reminder may have been sent out. Check your car tax online and stay within the law.